Setting up and following self-imposed deadlines for your activities can be a better move compared to following deadlines imposed by others.
Any person can face the necessity of observing deadlines setting up the timeline for his or her activities. Such deadlines can be fixed by the boss at the workplace, a deadline set up by the service providers including banks, and even self-imposed.
Those that are looking to follow self-imposed deadlines for carrying out any task need to build up good strategies. Effective strategies are indispensable for the implementation of the deadlines to best effects.
The strategy includes preparation of a schedule of deadlines and then following these deadlines introducing discipline and dedication in the lifestyle.
Source: towards data science
Advantages of Self Imposed Deadlines
Advantages derived by using the self imposed deadlines are as follows-
- Despite being dreadful at times the deadlines are great motivators helping timely accomplishment of any task;
- When the deadlines are self imposed it can help a person to customize them according to their capabilities;
- Deadlines can keep one focused on the work to be done;
- Since the self imposed deadlines are created by you there is no fear of ruining your relationship with the boss, co-workers, associates, or the customers; and
- One can be a bit lenient in adhering to deadlines when they are self-imposed.
4 Tips to Create Realistic Deadlines and Deliver [Works for Me All The Time]
#1 – Sticking to Goals and Deadlines is Important
It is not enough just preparing a list of self imposed deadlines and the most important part of it is sticking to them. Towards this end, one can follow a few principles as detailed below.
- Instead of setting up lofty goals, it is better establishing mini-milestones so that one can stick to the deadlines established stress-free and not feeling overwhelmed by the enormity of the goal-setting;
- It is necessary to develop the ways and tools to achieve your desired goal. An example is when you are trying to design a website optimizing it for search engines then fixing up a deadline can keep you on course better.
- If you need a partner he or she should help keep you accountable. Such a partner can be anyone from the family or friend circles or any other and the task for such a partner would be keeping you focused on the self imposed deadlines checking frequently the progress made so far.
- It is better to set up deadlines in days instead of weeks or months that can make sticking to the deadlines easier for you. Instead of setting any monthly deadline, it would be better settling for day wise break up so that you are nearer to the deadline and can easily adhere to it. Also, setting deadlines in days can make one mind about urgency.
- Also; it is necessary to create a sense of urgency to keep one focused on the ultimate goal of the deadlines.
Source: Towards Data Science
This does not mean that you cannot afford to be ambitious in setting up the goal. The only necessity for you is to not overlook the practical sides of the goal set up.
- Avoiding designing a lengthy timeline for the accomplishment of any task is essential because such a timeframe can develop zero motivation for the performer defeating the ultimate objective for which the self-imposed deadlines were designed.
- Deadlines should be established having in minded the rewards as well as consequences of sticking to the deadline. Benefits to be derived on completion of the task is a great incentive that can keep one motivated longer and inspire him or her to stick to the deadline setup.
#2 – Take the Deadline Seriously
One of the challenges for sticking to self imposed deadlines is that very often people are not very serious about their implementation. Deadlines can help one focused on the task in hand and making progress continuously in their private or professional life. However, when the deadlines are not taken seriously the entire process can become fruitless. The question again is how to take the deadlines created seriously.
#3 – It is Not Easy but it is Essential
One has to appreciate that it is not easy designing a set of effective self imposed deadlines but it is essential for the achievement of any coveted goals in the process. Deadlines that are self imposed are often violated and that is the tendency to be avoided. The reason for this is that failing to adhere to the deadlines imposed by the boss or others can bring up unpleasant consequences as the performer is accountable in such cases. On the other hand in case of the deadlines that are self imposed, there is no accountability to others. That is why more often than not people fail to stick to these deadlines. Fact remains that people adhere to deadlines imposed by others as hard deadlines whereas they fail to show a similar approach in case of self imposed deadlines that are often considered as soft deadlines.
#4 – Best Way to Take Self Imposed Deadlines Seriously
Taking the self imposed deadlines seriously can make you more productive and consistent. The following methods can help achieve this objective. Using social accountability making the public of the deadline to avoid keeping them secret and confined to you is necessary. This is an effective way of dealing with the issues making the deadlines vulnerable to non-observance.
Scientific studies have established the fact that when self imposed deadlines are shared with others the success rate is around 95%. At the same time, the performer needs the will power to stick to the deadlines shared with others and making them effective.